Applications for GenCen's Summer 2017 WGS study abroad program scholarships are now closed. However, we are still accepting applications for enrollment into the Gender, Sex, and Feminism in the UK program through Friday, April 7.
GenCen administers and offers course credits in three Summer Study Abroad programs:
The programs offered can be found through the MSU Office of Study Abroad's website. If the above links don't redirect to the correct pages, you can find them through the Program Search function by selecting Advanced Search, then set the Subject Offered menu option to Women's Studies.
Academic year study abroad programs offered through foreign universities may also offer credit in women's studies courses. You may also check the program description for general study abroad programs.
Please email application materials to by March 15. Include "GenCen Study Abroad Scholarship" in your subject line; see below for all application requirements.
GenCen will be awarding one scholarship each to students attending the Women's & Gender Studies Study Abroad Programs in Malawi (Development and NGOs: Internships), London (Gender, Sex, and Feminism in the UK), and Amsterdam (Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity & Sexual Politics).
These scholarships, for $1,000-$1,250 each, are made possible by the Abbott–Haskin Endowment in even-numbered years and the Director's Challenge Campaign in odd-numbered years. Students are eligible to apply if they are:
- In a Women's & Gender Studies degree program (WGS major/minor or LGBTQ minor)
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA
- "Have demonstrated the capacity to make a difference in public service upon graduation."
[Administrative Note: In 2016, per the Abbott-Haskin Endowment, we included a requirement that applicants be rising juniors, juniors, or seniors. However, for the 2017 application season we have removed this eligibility requirement.]
Applications Must Include:
- A cover letter expressing interest in the scholarship, how the study abroad program furthers their scholarly interests, and how they plan to use their women's and gender studies degree after graduation
- A resume or CV
- Proof of acceptance to one of the listed WGS Study Abroad programs
- Preference will be given to students demonstrating financial need; materials in support of demonstrating such need are encouraged as applicable.
Download the Women's & Gender Studies Study Abroad Scholarship flyer [pdf]
Stay Connected with GenCen
Fill out our email contact form to receive our monthly Digest, as well as brief reminders about GenCen events and news! Keep up with our News and Events, and stay connected with us on social media through our Twitter and Facebook page and discussion group, where we encourage our members to post and comment on relevant gender and sexuality news, events and content.